Sabudana khichdi is an Indian dish made from soaked Sabudana(Pearl Tapioca),boiled&grilled or shallow fry potatoes, green chili, lemon juice tomato, and ghee or oil. It is the dish of choice when an individual observes a fast during Navratri, Maha Shivaratri, Ekadasi or similar religious occasions. In the Vidarbha region of Maharashtra, it is known as Sabudana Usal. Sabudana khichdi is an easy and good recipe to make during fasting days but it should get a perfect texture to take care of this, it should not be sticky. Sabudana khichdi is a vegan & gluten-free recipe.
- 2cups Sabudana(tapioca pearls)
- 2small or medium size boiled potatoes
- 1medium size red Tomato(finely chopped)
- 2-3 Green chili (finely chopped)
- 1tspGiger paste
- 1-2 tsp Lemon juice
- 1-2tbspfresh Coriander leaves(finely chopped)
- 1tsp Cumin seed
- 6-7Black peppercorns(finely crushed)
- Rock salt to test
- First, rinse Sabudana or tapioca pearl and soak the sabudana in water for 3-4 hour, after 3-4 hour checked tapioca pearl should be soft then drained it. Sabudana grains should be separate and moist.
- Peel boiled potatoes and cut into small cubes, heat ghee in a pan or wok on medium flame, add potatoes cubes for shallow fry, it will take 5-6 minutes, remove after shallow fry potatoes & put aside.
- Then use the same pan or wok, add cumin seeds and when they start to crackle add green chili and ginger paste & saute for 1-2 minutes, add tomatoes & saute for 1-2 minutes add salt, black peppercorn cook for 1 minute add sabudana or tapioca pearl saute 5-6 minutes, stirring well.
- Add salt, lemon juice mix well if need then sprinkles some water saute 1minutes sabudan khichdi or Vidarbha region of Maharashtra Sabudana Usal is ready to serve.
- Sprinkle chopped fresh coriander leaves and serve hot with green chutney,&curd.