Sanjori is a prasad of Maha Ganpati & Mahalaxmi Pooja in Maharashtra, its a sweet stuffed puri or flatbread stuffed with semolina like suji halwa. It is similar to Puran Poli while Puran Poli is stuffed with sweet lentil with jaggery and dough is of whole wheat or maida. In Sanjori stuffing is made with semolina(suji) halwa which prepared with milk, water, and sugar and dough will be of whole wheat or maida & suji mix.
For Sanjori cover:
- 1cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/2 cup Semolina(suji) fine
- Pinch of salt
- 1tbsp ghee (hot)
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 1/2cup Water
- 1cup semolina(suji)
- 1tbsp ghee
- 1tspgreen cardamom powder
- one pinch of nutmeg powder
- Sugar powder as per taste
- 1/2 cup Milk
- First, take a big bowl to add wheat flour, semolina, sugar, salt mix it well, add hot ghee and crumble it together with hand until it resembles breadcrumb.
- Take a small bowl then add milk and water to it and start kneading to make Sanjori puri dough it is to be not too much tight or smooth dough.
- Cover the dough with damp muslin cloth for an hour.
- Meanwhile, prepare the stuffing in a wok or pan on the medium heated then add the ghee to it, add semolina and roast on the low medium flame until the suji is roasted and aromatic.
- After proper roasting, remove it, and transfer it in a bowl and cool it down in room temperature, then add sugar, green cardamom powder, nutmeg powder mix it well then started adding milk after that start to make small size balls for stuffing.
- Divide the dough into an equal number of stuffing balls, make the balls of dough, take a dough ball and flatten with fingers and palm, make them into the small discs of 3 inches diameter, place a sweet semolina ball stuffing in the middle of the disc.
- Bring all the edges together and seal completely make it into a ball and press lightly in the middle take it on the Flat board and make it with a roller pin, roll it into a puri orSanjori with a very light hand, it should not be rolled to very thin.
- Repeat this with all the remaining portion of dough and semolina stuffing.
- Heat the oil in a wok or deep heavy base kadhai and start to deep fry Sanjori one by one on medium flame, fry it until it turns both sides golden brown in color, drain excess oil on absorbent paper.
- Repeat this process with all sanjori!!!
If you don’t want fry Sanjori you can make it like Puran Poli just make it Sanjori Dough little smooth, not like puri.