Samo rice known as vrat ke rice, in some places in India samo known as Mordhan, Moriyo,Vari & swang rice.Samo comes in millet family .In english known as Barnyard millet,it is gluten free. Samo rice can be consumed on fasting like Ekadasi, ashtami, Navratri, Janmashtami, MahaShivratri.Various Other recipes can make with samo or moriya as kheer, khichadi, pulao, etc.Samo rice is full of fiber and essential minerals like iron & magnesium,it is great source of energy.
- 1/2 cup Samo Rice
- 1 1/2 cups water(for the cook to rice)
- 2cups Mashed potatoes
- 1 1/2 tsp grated Ginger
- 1-2 green chili (finely chopped or paste)
- 1-2 tbsp Fresh coriander(finely chopped)
- 2-3 tsp lemon juice
- 1tsp Cumin seed
- 1/2tsp Black pepper powder
- Rock Salt as per taste
- oil for frying
- First clean, wash the rice and soak for10- 15 minutes, take a pan to add water &rice turn the heat medium to high.
- When it starts to boil lower the heat and cover the pan and let it cook 15-20 minutes.
- Let them cool properly, take a big bowl then add rice, boiled mashed potatoes & all other ingredients green chili paste, grated ginger, cumin seed, black pepper, rock salt.
- Mix it well,& make the small shape of tikkis or round shape of all mixture.
- Heat the oil in a wok pan on medium to high flame for deep frying the tikkis or cutlets, once it is golden one side then flips them and fries the other side.
- Drain the excess oil using a slotted spoon.
- Samo Tikki is crispy from the outside while soft from the inside.
- Serve crispy Tikki with coriander& pudina falari chutney if you are serving it during fast days, if making regular snacks you can serve with any chutney& sauce