Jalebi, is also known as zulbia & zalabia it is an Indian sweet popular all over South Asia & the Middle East,jilapi in Bangladesh,zulubia in Iran.It is made by deep frying all-purpose flour or plain flour batterin a circular or spiral shape which are soaked in sugar syrup. This desert can served warm or cold. Jalebi is eaten with Rabri in North India,along with option of other flavour such as Kewra.
- 1cup All-purpose flour or plain flour
- 1tbsp Chickpea flour or besan
- 3-4 tbsp yogurt
- 1/4tsp Baking powder
- 1-2pinch Baking soda
- 1/2tsp Green cardamom powder
- Oil or ghee(i prefer oil)
- Water as per required
- orange food color(optional)
- 1-2tspsilver Pistachios(for garnishing)
For Sugar Syrup
- 1cup Sugar 1/2 cup water
- 5-7safrfroon strands
- Half Lemon Juice
- 1/4tsp Green cardamom powder
- First,take a large bowl add all -purpose flour, chickpea flour baking soda, baking powder mix it well all together.
- Add yogurt,water ,cardamom powder, food color (if you want to use)make the batter,it should not be too thin or thick.
- Cover the batter and let sit the batter for 8-10 hour for fermentation.In winter it will take more time for formentation.
- After 8-10 hour you will see the small bubbles on top of the batter whisk the batter a little. if you feel it is thick then a little water as requried.Batter should not be too thick or too thin.
- At this time we make a sugar syrup,take a medium size pan add sugar,water and let it be boil, when water starts boiling add cardamom powder & saffron ,cook on less heat till one thread is consistancy.
- Add lemon juice to prevant crystallization.
- Make a small size needle hole in a ziplock bag or a squeeze bottle and fill it with the jalebi mixture.
- Heat oil in heavey bottom fry pan and make it in spiral shape jalebis.
- Fry till crisp from both sides,remove from oil and immediatily dip in warm sugar syrup for few seconds on each side.
- Jalebi is ready for serving with hot milk and Rabri 🙂