Sambar also spelled sambhar or sambaar, it is a lentil- based vegetable stew or chowder, originated from the Indian subcontinent, cooked with tamarind broth, It is popular in the South- Indian and Sri Lankan cuisine. Most people enjoy sambar with some soft idli, dosa, vada or with plain rice. Sambar is rich in protein, fiber, and other many nutrients. A proper combination of veggies is also an important part of sambar. Vegetables like drumstick tomatoes, onions, ladyfingers, bottle guard, yellow pumpkin etc. are used along with a fresh spice paste.
- 1/2 cup Toor dal(split pigeon pea) soaked for 10-20 minutes
- 1-2tbsp Tamarind pulp or (soak 30-50gm tamarind in 1/2 cup of water for 10 minutes, squeeze out all water from the soaked imli.)
- 1/2-1 tbsp Jaggery(optional)
- 1tsp Mustard seeds
- 2-3red Chili(whole)
- 4-5 Fresh Curry Leaves
- Salt as per taste
- 2tbsp Oil
For Authentic Sambar Masala:
- 1/2tsp Fenugreek (Methi)seeds
- 1 tsp Dry Coriander Seeds
- 1tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1/2tsp Roasted Chana Dal
- 1-2 Cloves
- 1 Green Cardamom
- 1/4tsp Asafoetida
- 1/2tsp Rice
- 8-10 Fresh Curry Leaves
- 1-2 inch Ginger
- 5-6 Garlic Clove(optional)
- 1-2tbsp Fresh Coconut(grated)
- 8-10 Red Chili(whole)
- 1big sized Onion(sliced)
- 1/2tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1-2tsp Kashmiri Lal Mirch Powder
- 1tbsp Oil
- 1tsp Salt
- Water as per required to make a paste
- 1/2 cup Bottle Guard pieces
- 3/4 cup Yellow Pumpkin pieces
- 1 small Red Tomato(finely chopped)
- 6-7 Shallots(small onion)
- 1 Drumstickcut into pieces)
- 2-3 Ladyfingers
- First, take a pan for making authentic fresh sambar masala, heat oil on medium flame add cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds, roasted channa dal, rice, coriander seeds, asafoetida, ginger 1-2 inch, 5-6 garlic clove, clove, green cardamom fresh coconut, fresh curry leaves roasted allspice 1-2 minutes add whole10-12 red chili roasted chili also 1-2minutes then add spices turmeric powder, Kashmiri Lal Mirch powder and sliced onion mix it well-roasted 3-4 minutes add salt and roast again 1-2 minutes.
- Keep aside for cooling the roasted mixture when its fully cool make a fine paste with the help of a mixer grinder.
- Take a mixer jar to add roasted things with water and make a fine paste.
- Take a pressure cooker heat oil on medium flame to add green chili saute 1-2 second and add cook all veggies saute3-4 minutes after that add fine paste of authentic sambar saute2-3 minutes add soaked pigeon pea, 6-7cups water mix it well then start boiling put lid of cooker cook10-15 minutes on low flame.
- Don’t open cooker lid, give 10-15 time for cooling, add tamarind paste jaggery, cook 4-5 minutes.
- Prepare the tempering by using 1-2tsp of oil, add mustard seeds,1-2 dried red chili whole or crushed5-6 curry leaves and a pinch of asafoetida. Let it splutter and add to sambar.
- Cook for a minute Authentic Sambar is ready to serve with plain rice, vada, dosa and with soft idli.