Indulge in the regal flavors of Shahi Makhana Kheer, a rich and creamy dessert that is sure to captivate your taste buds. Made with the finest ingredients, this royal treat is a perfect finale to any meal or a delightful sweet indulgence on its own. Let’s embark on this culinary journey fit for royalty.
- 1 cup Makhana (Fox Nuts)
- 1 liter Full-Fat Milk
- 1/2 cup Sugar (adjust to taste)
- 1/4 cup Mixed Dry Fruits (Almonds, Cashews, Pistachios) – finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp Cardamom Powder
- A pinch of Saffron Strands (optional)
- 1 tbsp Ghee (Clarified Butter)
- A few strands of edible Silver Foil (optional, for garnish)
- Few Dried Rose petals (optional, for garnish)
Step 1: Roasting the Makhana
- In a heavy-bottomed pan, heat 1 tbsp of ghee over medium heat.
- Add the makhana to the pan and roast them until they turn crisp. This should take about 4-5 minutes. Keep stirring to ensure even roasting.
- Once done, remove the roasted makhana from the heat and allow them to cool. Then coarsely grind them using a food processor or a mortar and pestle.
Step 2: Preparing the Kheer
- In a large, thick-bottomed saucepan, pour the milk and bring it to a gentle boil over medium heat.
- Stirring occasionally, let the milk simmer until it reduces to about 3/4th of its original quantity. This process will take approximately 30-40 minutes.
- Add the coarsely ground makhana to the simmering milk and continue to cook for another 10-12 minutes, or until the makhana softens and blends well with the milk.
- Add sugar and continue to stir until the sugar dissolves completely. Adjust the sugar quantity according to your taste preference.
- Mix in the cardamom powder and saffron strands (if using) for an aromatic touch.
- Toss in the finely chopped mixed dry fruits and let them cook for an additional 2-3 minutes. Keep a handful of chopped dry fruits aside for garnish.
Step 3: Serving the Shahi Makhana Kheer
- Once the kheer reaches a creamy consistency, turn off the heat and allow it to cool to room temperature.
- Ladle the kheer into serving bowls.
- Garnish with the reserved chopped dry fruits and, if desired, a delicate sprinkle of edible silver foil and sprinkle some rose leaves for a truly royal touch.
- Serve chilled or at room temperature and relish the regal flavors of Shahi Makhana Kheer.
This Shahi Makhana Kheer recipe brings together the richness of makhana, the creaminess of milk, and the sweetness of dry fruits for a dessert fit for royalty. Impress your guests or indulge in this majestic treat all by yourself. Experience the taste of luxury with every spoonful!