On the occasion of Rakshabandhan, which is the festival of joy & emotion. We celebrate Rakhi, the special bond of brother & sister. Since Rakhi is coinciding with Independence Day, which means it is a double celebration. So we made sweet like kalakand. Kalakand is an Indian sweet made out of solidified sweetened milk, it is a rich milk cake or fudge. Kalakand is made by reducing milk, sugar. It is moist, has grainy texture & flavored with cardamom, rose water & saffron.
- 4 liter Milk(full fat)
- 500gm Sugar(as per your taste)
- 1 tsp lemon juice or 1 pinch of Alum
- 1/2 tsp Green Cardamom powder
- 7-9 Saffron strands(soaked in hot milk)
- 1-2 tsp Rose-water(optional)
- 2 tsp Ghee
- 8-10 Almond (finely chopped)
- 6-8 Pistachios (finely chopped)
- First, take a heavy-based pan or iron wok then add milk for boiling.
- When the milk has boiled, reduce the flame to medium.
- Keep stirring the milk on medium to low flame till the milk reduces by 1/4, it will take approx 35-45 minutes.
- When the milk starts to get little thick, add alum or lemon juice.
- Milk will start curdling, so stir continuously on low flame for 5-7 minutes.
- Now add sugar, saffron milk, green cardamom powder & stir them continuously.
- Once the mixture starts to change its color to light golden & gets thick, add ghee & mix it well & switch off the flame.
- Take a tray or tin box & grease it with ghee & transfer the mixture with the help of a spatula and press it lightly.
- Let the mixture sit for 5-6 hour to cool after that cut them into shapes as you desire.
- Kalakand or milk fudge is ready to serve.