Bottle gourd or Lauki is also known by many other names as Ghiya in Hindi or Dudhi in Gujrati or Opo squash. Lauki is a kind of vegetable that most of the people don’t like its taste but when making kofta of Lauki, dudhi halwa, and make Lauki- chana dal, it’s very tasty and delicious. Eating Lauki can help to reduce stress, help in digestion, treating the sleeping disorder and extremely beneficial for the heart. Bottle gourd is rich in dietary fiber, both soluble & insoluble.
- 2cups grated and squeezed Bottle Gourd
- 5 1/2 tbsp gram flour(Besan)
- 1 1/2 tbsp rice flour
- 1/4tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 green chili(finely chopped)
- 3-4 Black peppercorn(crushed)
- 1/2tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 Onion small size(finely chopped)
- Salt to taste
- Oil for deep frying (as per required)
- 2-3 medium sized Tomatoes(red)
- 1-2 medium size Onion(finely chopped)
- 1/2-1 Ginger- Garlic(paste)
- 1/2 cup Cashew yogurt
- 1/2 tsp cumin seed
- 1-2 clove
- 1-2pinch green cardamom powder
- 1 1/2 Coriander powder
- 1/2tsp Kashmiri Lal Mirch powder
- 1/4 Turmeric powder
- 1-2 tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
- Water as per required
- First, take a big bowl to add grated and squeezed Lauki, gram flour, rice flour turmeric powder crushed black peppercorn,ginger-garlic paste, finely chopped onion, chopped green chili, and salt, mix it all ingredients very well.
- The mixture should be of thick consistency( but not too much)to make round shape balls. Grease palm with oil and divide the mixture in an equal12-16 portion, take each portion and make it round shaped balls.
- Heat oil in a wok(kadhai) on the medium flame for deep frying when oil is medium hot add the 4-6round balls at a time.
- Stir occasionally and fry until they turn light golden brown &crisp, take them out using slotted spoon drain excess oil and place them over in a plate.
- Take all the ingredients of gravy .onion tomatoes ginger garlic paste and spices as turmeric, cumin seeds, coriander powder, red chili powder, in a grinder. Grind into a smooth paste and keep it aside.
- Heat 2tbsp oil in a wok on medium flame add green cardamom powder, clove fry it 1-2 second then add before the prepared paste.
- Cook it until the moisture evaporates it will take 6-7 minutes, and oil starts to leave from the sides, add cashew curd stir in between and make sure gravy masala not sticking to the bottom of the wok.
- Then add water and boil to make the gravy consistency, add koftas mix gently cook on the medium flame1-2 minutes, turn off the flame
- Serve Lauki koftas with nan, roti or plain rice.