Dahi Vada,Dahi Bhalla or Dahi Gujiyas are the most famous chaat,snack or street food of Northern India, almost prepared on every festival like Holi, Diwali or any other special occasions. Dahi Bhalla recipe is very easy and all the ingredients are available in our kitchen.
For making Dahi Vada some preperation are to be done before hand,like making both spicy coriander & mint and sweet tamrind(saunth) chutney.
For Making Vada:
- 2/3 cup Urad Dal (Lentil)
- 1/3 cup Moong Dal (Lentil)
- 1-2 Green Chilies(Finely chopped)
- 1 inch Ginger (Grated)
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
- Oil(for frying)
For Soaking Vada
- 1-2 pinch Asafoetida(hīng)
- 1 Liter Water(lukewarm)
- Salt according to taste
For Serving 1 Plate:-
- 1-2 tbsp Thick Yogurt
- 2-3 tsp Coriander & Mint Chutney
- 1-2 tsp Sweet Tamarind Chutney
- 1 pinch Kashmiri Lal Mirch
- 1-2 pinch Roasted Cumin Powder
- 1 pinch Black Salt
- 1 pinch Chaat Masala
- 1-2 tsp Nylon Sev
- Fresh Coriander Leaves(garnishing)
- First, soak both lentils for 3-4 hours and grind into a fine paste by adding very little water, the batter should be a little thick for making Vadas.
- Beat the batter well(5-10 minutes) till its light and fluffy. Remember one thing when you are beating the batter it should be only one direction, for making soft Vadas.
- For testing whether your vada batter is ready or not, take a small bowl of water and drop a small amount of batter, if the batter floats, it is ready for making Vadas,
- Add ginger, green chili and cumin seed to your batter.
- Preheat the oil in a deep wok or pan and start making small Vadas with your hands wet and drop it slowly into the hot oil.
- Deep fry Vadas on medium-high flame for 2-3 minutes and then fry for 1-2 minutes on low flame till they become golden.
- Drain off all the Vadas on the kitchen towel
- Take a big pan and add lukewarm water, asafoetida, salt and mix it very well.
- Let the Vadas soak in the mixture for 15-20 minutes.
- After squeezing water from 5-6 Vadas, place them on the serving plate. Pour curd on your Vadas, add both the chutneys and sprinkle chili powder, black salt, roasted cumin powder, and chat masala
- Garnish with Nylon Sev and freshly chopped green coriander leaves.
- Enjoy your sweet and spicy Dahi Vada Chaat.