Gatte ki sabji is a popular traditional recipe for Rajasthan.It is made from besan(chickpea flour) in the form of a dumpling and cooked with a spicy curd gravy. Shahi gatte is stuffed with cottage cheese, finely chopped dry fruits, boiled and fried preparation in a rich onion yogurt gravy.People in India make this recipe on special occasions, such as festivals and parties.
For the dough of gatte:
- 1 cup gram flour(Besan or chickpea flour)
- 1-2 tbsp refined oil
- 1/4tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp Kashmiri Lal Mirch
- 1/2tsp carom seeds (ajwain)
- 1-2 tsp Kasuri methi(dried fenugreek leaves)
- a pinch of asafoetida(Hing)
- 1/2 cup curd
- water(as required)
- 1/2cupcottage cheese(grated)
- 8-10 raisins
- 1-2 tbsp chopped dry fruits
- 1/2tsp cardamom powder
- 6-7white peeper corn powder
- 2 cups yogurt
- 1mediaum size onion(paste)
- 1 1/2 tsp ginger paste
- 1/2garlic paste
- 1/2tsp garam masala
- 1-2 bay leaf
- 3-4 small cardamom
- 1tsp cumin seeds
- a pinch of asafoetida
- 1/2tsp turmeric powder
- 1tsp Kashmiri Lal Mirch powder
- 2tsp Kasuri methi
- salt to taste
- water as required
- Take a mixing bowl, add all dough ingredients to mix well and make it a soft dough.Cover the dough with cling sheet and keep aside 5-7 minutes.take another small bowl and mix all stuffing ingredients to it. Mix well.
- Start making stuff gatte apply little oil in your hands and make it 5-6 balls of dough, take one dough ball in your hands and make it flat circle about 3-4 inches.Put 2tsp cottage paneer stuffing and bind it again a circle and make it one big rolling length.Do the same thing with the all remaining balls.
- Meanwhile, boil some water in a big vessel, once the water starts to boil, add the dough rolls.Boil the dough rolls till they become light in weight and start floating on the surface of boiling water.
- Takeout all the dough rolls from the water, cool them and cut into small pieces.
- take a heavy based pan, heat and add enough oil for frying gatte, when oil is hot then add gatte and fry till they turn golden in color.
- Heat another pan for making gravy,add2tbsp oil.add all dried spice, when they start cracking add onion, garlic ginger paste and cook until oil leaves the sides then to add chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, along with yogurt and water, here we can use same water which uses for gatte boiling and stir regularly until it starts boiling.
- Add fried gatte and salt to taste, let it boil7-8 minutes on medium flame. Remove from heat.
- Garnish with grated cottage cheese, little fresh cilantro leaves.
- Serve with nan, puri parathas, and chapatis etc.