Black eyed beans recipe is very easy to prepare, and lightly-spiced. Black eyed- beans are a quick cooking bean, this mean you can have this dish on the table in less than one hour. I am using dry bean not the canned bean.
- 1cup Black-eyed beans, (dried) soaked before one hour
- 1-1/2tbsp Oil
- 1-2 medium onion
- 3-4 tomatoes
- 4-5 cloves garlic
- 2-3-inch ginger root
- 3cups of water
- 1tbsp cumin seed
- 2tbsp Coriander powder
- 1/2tbsp turmeric powder
- 1tbsp Kashmiri chili powder
- Salt to taste
- Rinse and through the black- eyed beans. Put them in the cooker and cover with water, salt to taste.
- On a high flame give one whistle, after that, you do low flame and cook 30-35minutes.
- While the beans are cooking, you prepare gravy, first, you make a paste onion, tomatoes, ginger, garlic.
- On a medium to high flame, you put oil after you add cumin seed, asafetida cumin starts cracking, add onion ginger, tomatoes, garlic paste with all spices.
- Mix well, sauté 1-2 minutes continuously, then oil comes aside then we add boiled beans mix it well if you feel gravy thick, you can add some water. Cover it let it cook for 5-6 minutes. Turn off heat. Black-eyed beans curry is ready garnish with cilantro.
- Serve with paratha or roti